The latest interviews, reviews and what to watch in indie short film, web series and YouTube Down Under…
// WHAT TO WATCH:
(Short Film) The Tropfest NZ finalists
Nothing on TV? Snuggle up and watch a smorgasbord of New Zealand’s best short films – the 16 winners and finalists for Tropfest NZ 2015.
There’s a huge variety – and all available for free on YouTube.
Links to all the films: http://www.tropfest.com/nz/films/2015-finalists/
(Web Series – 6 episodes) The Katering Show
Everyone is talking about it – the smash comedy hit from Australia that’s poking fun at our obsession with foodie TV shows.
We guarantee you’ll end up binge watching all six episodes… (free on YouTube).
Watch it here: http://webserieschannel.co.nz/webseries/katering-show/
(YouTube) Three out of Five Stars
Three out of Five Stars is observational and absurd sketch comedy from Nick Davies, Sarah McCarthy, and Thomas Newman with videos added to their YouTube channel on a regular basis.
We asked the trio more about their videos and their goals for the future.
Read the article here>>> http://viewfinder.co.nz/blog/articles/three-five-stars/
(Web Series) The Katering Show
The Katering Show is a six episode web series about the ’journey of a food intolerant, and an intolerable foodie’ by Australian comedy duo Kate McLennan and Kate McCartney.
With one episode (Thermomix) clocking up over 1.3 million views in three weeks, The Katering Show has become a web show hit on “everyone’s favourite TV channel, YouTube.”
Read the review here: http://viewfinder.co.nz/blog/articles/review-the-katering-show/
// CREATOR’S CORNER
(YouTube) YouTube: The Insider’s Guide to Success
(Notes from the recent New Zealand YouTube; The insider’s guide to success roadshow hosted by WIFTNZ)
YouTube gives us thousands of channels to watch – anything from parkour to dance to cooking tutorials; the niche is broad on YouTube. Three days of content is uploaded every minute; 4 billion views per day; with 800 million monthly unique users.
As a YouTube creator how do you stand out, how do you get seen?
>>> Read the article here: http://viewfinder.co.nz/blog/articles/youtube-insiders-guide-success/
// NEWS IN BRIEF:
- Loading Docs 2015 are 10 x 3min awesome NZ docos. They’re crowdfunding now – can you help out these filmmakers? http://buff.ly/1Mt94D4
- Kiwi web series creators are speaking on the “WOMEN WARRIORS OF THE WEB SERIES WORLD” panel at the LA Web Fest. Go NZ! http://bit.ly/1Dynvkk
- Kiwi YouTubers will be Live Streaming for Rebuild Christchurch in April. Watch and donate! http://buff.ly/1GJkEIf
// FROM OUR SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Another awesome NZ web series is crowdfunding – Game Over. Check out the pilot; we’re hooked! Can you help out? http://buff.ly/1ELCeg3
- Wondered who our top YouTubers were? Here’s New Zealand’s current Top YouTubers http://bit.ly/1EGCdbh
- Using YouTube to promote your work, build an audience, and turn a profit – for all filmmakers http://bit.ly/1DsKodO
- Here’s our list of Web Fests around the World; there’s lots to submit to! http://bit.ly/17VclhG
- Fab article on Web Series via Filmmaker Mag- how to make great content – and should we ditch the term web series? http://bit.ly/1b2PHFp
- Especially for the YouTubers: 10 Tips For Being Awesome on Camera http://on.mash.to/1a7pQf1
- Making Web Series That Work (video) – Panel at BVE 2015, London – Good advice for web series creators here! http://buff.ly/1Ba85B4